On May 20, 2022, the Arvada Chamber hosted the Legislative Session Recap as part of the Emerging Conversations Webinar series. The Arvada Chamber welcomed keynote speaker Jeff Weist, from the Jefferson County Business Lobby, who provided an overview of 2022 legislation impacting businesses.
We want to thank Community First Foundation for sponsoring the Emerging Conversations Webinar series.
Find a recording of the webinar below, along with additional resources.
- Introduction [1:30]
- Keynote from Jeff Weist [7:27]
- Package of Bills to Break up Federal Funding [9:27]
- Business Liability and Regulation Bills [12:00]
- Tax-Related Bills [15:40]
- Summary [17:30]
- Panel Discussion [19:52]
- What was the most important bill you worked on this year – whether or not it was your own? [20:50]
- How do you see the current balance of power between the Executive and Legislative branches? Some in the business community are concerned the legislature defers too much to the Governor on spending priorities (like federal pandemic aid and infrastructure funding) and broad rulemaking authority without many sideboards. Is that balance out of whack or just about right, in your view? [29:40]
- How can the business community best convey to the legislature that public policies have a role to play in the state’s affordable housing crisis and that new mandates and restrictions on development exacerbate the problem? [36:10]
- What are some of your most important themes for the November election? [45:45]
- What will be the majority party’s major themes for the 2023 legislative session? [52:10]
- How can the business community connect with bill sponsors sooner as in working together on legislation with lawmakers to create potential policy not chasing behind when already introduced? [57: 20]
- Would one of you be interested in sponsoring a bill that requires a Regulatory Impact Assessment on all bills (or major bills)? Yes, this would slow the process of passing legislation down, but would result in less conflicting legislation and unintended consequences. [59:30]
Register for all upcoming Arvada Chamber events at arvadachamber.org/chamber-events.